RoboCop Returns - A Neil Blomkamp Film

Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
edited July 2018 in Movies and TV
From Comingsoon.Net:

Neill Blomkamp to direct RoboCop Returns for MGM!

Deadline is reporting that sci-fi director Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium) is set to direct a new RoboCop installment for MGM titled RoboCop Returns! Unlike the previous RoboCop remake from 2014, the new film will be a direct sequel to the original based on an unused RoboCop 2 screenplay by original writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner, with rewrites by Justin Rhodes (Untitled Terminator Reboot, Masters of the Universe).

Here is a brief plot synopses for RoboCop Returns: Anarchy reigns and the fate of Detroit hangs in the balance as RoboCop makes his triumphant return to fight crime and corruption.

“The original definitely had a massive effect on me as a kid,” Blomkamp stated. “I loved it then and it remains a classic in the end of 20th Century sci-fi catalog, with real meaning under the surface. Hopefully that is something we can get closer to in making of a sequel. That is my goal here. What I connected to as a kid has evolved over time. At first, the consumerism, materialism and Reaganomics, that ’80s theme of America on steroids, came through most strongly. But As I’ve gotten older, the part that really resonated with me is identity, and the search for identity. As long as the human component is there, a good story can work in any time period, it’s not locked into a specific place in history. What’s so cool about ‘RoboCop’ is that like good westerns, sci-fi films and dramas, the human connection is really important to a story well told. What draws me now is someone searching for their lost identity, taken away at the hands of people who are benefiting from it, and seeing his memory jogged by events. That is most captivating. The other thing I am excited by is the chance to work again with Justin Rhodes. He has added elements that are pretty awesome, to a sequel that was set in the world of Verhoeven. This is a movie I would love to watch.”

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/957079-neill-blomkamp-to-direct-robocop-returns-for-mgm#JhXqg2iUOCvWtEh5.99
"It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."

Comments

• Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    edited July 2018
    The new Hollywood trend is to conveniently ignore a long running series of bad sequels to beloved films, by making alternative direct follow-ups to the originals. If remakes and complete reboots don’t work, they now pan to people’s nostalgia - Halloween, Terminator, and RoboCop - and if successful, they can simultaneously acquire a new generation of fans for these franchises. While I might sound cynical, and while this is the major studio system low on ideas, I think the creative teams behind these projects, made up of some of the original cast and crew and new blood who are major fans, are putting more passion into their work. They’re making conscious efforts to make companion pieces that are more faithful; fixing it by doing it how it should’ve been done in the first place.

I’m all for this new RoboCop sequel with Neil Blomkamp at the helm, working from a script by the original's screenwriters Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner. I consider District 9 a modern sci-fi classic. While Elysium is a disappointing follow-up, it’s not a bad film - it's flawed but entertaining. Chappie is underrated solid stuff. I haven’t seen any of Blomkamp's independent shorts that he’s made recently, but I’ve read nothing but positive things. As I understand it, he wanted to rediscover himself as a filmmaker, and what made District 9 so great. If RoboCop Returns is successful, then not only will it lead to more of these films, and perhaps more related media, then it could very well make future property owners Disney interested in resurrecting his Alien project, which I think most of us would’ve preferred to see than Ridley Scott’s prequel messes. And if Halloween and Terminator are also successful, then I think we can expect more alternative sequels to our treasured classics.

I still really enjoy Robocop 2 though. It’s obviously not a patch on the original, but it’s very entertaining, and at this time, it’s the only other entry in this series worth bothering with.
  • Good reason to be iffy on Hollywood now doing this, tho it's not specifically a bad idea, nor is it new

Godzilla has like 5 or more eras now, , different series' of films following the original. Could be some crossover elements of course, but later films not really relating to each other with all the story points in them

It was the cow...

I’m all for it as long as the studios get the right creative teams in and the films turn out well, as we’ll have better continuities to follow watching our favorites, which will make us forget about all those horrid other sequels.
  • I'm all for this. The writers of the original doing their planned sequel after all these years. although the choice of director is questionable. Blomkamp is a one-hit wonder. They should have gone the whole hog and got Verehoven to come back.

edited July 2018
    I think Neil Blomkamp has a great understanding of the sci-fi genre. Sure, his last two features weren’t on par with District 9, although, I consider Chappie to be way underrated. But his recent shorts are supposed to be amazing, and I’ll check these out soon. I would’ve loved to see Paul Verhoeven return to direct though, but he’s done with Hollywood. It’s a shame Peter Weller is too old to reprise his role.
  • His recent shorts are fantastic. One of the director's of the year last year. Only a won hit wonder in the sense that D9 was successful critically and commercially, whereas everything else theatrically has been blah.

Makes you wonder how much his "style" comes from what he thought studios or audiences wanted from him after D9. I'm down for this just as I was for Alien.
    If this film turns out great, then it’s possible Blomkamp’s Alien project could be resurrected.
  • I want the Covenant sequel but I'd be down after that
    I think Ridley Scott's prequels aren't good, but I'd like to see David's story arc concluded, as this character and Michael Fassbender's portrayal is easily the best thing about these middling messes. Covenant at least sets up some potentially exciting stuff for a final film to lead into Alien.
  • Covenant is aight and Prometheus is solid, love the world they established in that movie. Definitely deserves a conclusion.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I'm down for this. Blomied shorts are great. I'd love a film of Firestarter, I think it was, the Nam one.

Prometheus is great. Covenant is better, likely my second favourite film in the franchise. David is fucking amazing. I hope he gets to do his third film. It looks like it could be batshit crazy.
  • Yeah, Covenant needs a conclusion but would love to see Blomk's Alien sequel.
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited July 2018
    I've personally loved everything Blomkamp has done so far. Even Elysium, which is probably his worst film by comparison, is still a good movie.

I'm not entirely sure where the aversion to him came from. It's like everyone expected D9 each time, and anything less was just garbage. No perspective. He's a talented filmmaker with his own style who digs sci-fi... ain't nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately there's a lot riding against this movie from the off, so it's gonna be an uphill struggle making this work and having people turn out to see it, especially with the last reboot being so recent and interest in the property waning. But I'm rooting for him, it could be great.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • They all look the same and Elysium is Garbo
  • I enjoyed the Robocop remake.

I’ll most likely enjoy this. More Robocop isn’t a bad thing. Hell I enjoyed Robocop 3 dispite it’s flaws.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
    edited July 2018
    I really like RoboCop 2, but I hate 3, and the remake is mediocre.
  • Robocop 2 is pretty damn good considering what came before it. 3 is OK despite being PG-13.

I enjoyed the remake for what it is. Its got a good cast and the action was fine, but again, PG-13 hurt it a lot.

With the original writers on board and an R rating this has the potential to be awesome.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I thought the remake was going to be horrible. But I didn't hate it. My biggest issue was with RoboCop himself. Not a fan of the snazzy streamlined look. I love the box like tank design. Ya know, his pretty much a prototype. He looks like he'd stop a truck in the original. Whereas the smooth remake looks like he'd get flattened.

I hope they leave him more akin to the original. He'll obviously get upgraded, but yeah. I'd like it less nice clean cyborg looking.
    edited July 2018
    @gunsrazorsknives...

Much like Predator 2, which was also released in 1990, RoboCop 2 is a good sequel that just so happens to not be as good as the first. And yeah, considering what came before, there’s no shame in this. I think both films are worthy follow-ups, and are unfairly maligned.

The problem with Robocop 3 is they tried to make a family friendly affair, with RoboCop a superhero figure, and it had zero social satire. The remake also watered down the violence, also lacked the satire, and even worse - there was no humor. Although, I think it’s a technically proficient film, whereas 3 is badly executed - the cringe making jet pack sequence, etc.