Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
Directors: Dexter Fletcher, Bryan Singer

hjfhevadryrj.jpg

Bohemian Rhapsody is a foot-stomping celebration of Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury, who defied stereotypes and shattered convention to become one of the most beloved entertainers on the planet. The film traces the meteoric rise of the band through their iconic songs and revolutionary sound, their near-implosion as Mercury's lifestyle spirals out of control, and their triumphant reunion on the eve of Live Aid, where Mercury, facing a life-threatening illness, leads the band in one of the greatest performances in the history of rock music. In the process, cementing the legacy of a band that were always more like a family, and who continue to inspire outsiders, dreamers and music lovers to this day. Written by Twentieth Century Fox

Comments

• TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    Dammit @gwally you beat me to it! haha. Is there a way to delete mine?
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    It's all good, Tex!
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    I know I'm speaking a little too soon, but I have to admit that I never thought this thing would ever hit the screens with as much production trouble as it's had.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    Thanks. Any who I'm excited for this. I was bummed when Sacha Baron Cohen was dropped because thought he would be perfect but this still looks good. Rami Malek actually looks like he can pull this off. It should be fun just jamming out to Queen while watching.
  • Looks really good, although I hope they don't gloss over the more sordid details about Queen and Mercury.
  • Yeah, would love to see this some time, and yeah, would like to know some background. I don't think I ever heard any gossip or scandals about Queen growing up.

Did hear he was gay and had AIDS right at the end, but even then it wasn't reported like a scandal, he was about the first famous person to die of AIDS and was before AIDS got a lot a press in any form as I remember

It was the cow...

• WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    I love Freddie Mercury, his voice is phenomenal. Cant wait to see this.
    I did want to see what Sacha Baron Cohen could have done with this role, but it's fine.
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited May 2018
    I just had a really dumb moment watching this trailer where it suddenly dawned on me that Malek won't be doing his own singing. It hadn't really occured to me before, even though it's sort of obvious - Mercury's voice was just too distinctive to nail down. On the one hand this looks decent. But the whole lip syncing to songs in biopics has always really bugged me, and I don't know if I'll be able to look past it.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Looks like it could turn out good but this worries me;

• Looks good but I'm skeptical because they are glossing over Freddie's bisexuality and AIDS battle.

• This looks epic. Rami is killing it and it looks like it'll be a blast to see in the theater.

I take back what I said before about Malek not doing his own singing. I was wrong. Of course it should be Freddie, anything else would pale in comparison.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Rami may be coming for an Oscar nomination at the least with this. I'm very hopeful, he's truly incredible in Mr. Robot. I look forward to this one!!
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I dunno. I'm keen for it but Cohen leaving on it really bummed me out. Especially since he worked on it for so damn long. Rami looks great but Cohen would have been a lot better.

I also am worried due to the direction May has steered the film. It should be Freddys story. The ins and outs. Its already well documented how the band continued. What isn't is Freddys less than innocent lifestyle. What's the point if a biopic if you're going to take away the nitty gritty?

The trailers are looking good. But again, ANY trailer can look damn good. That's their job.
  • Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    edited July 2018
    I’m not even a Queen fan, but I acknowledge the fact that Freddie Mercury is one of the all-time greatest rock frontmen/vocalists, and I really want to see this biopic. I do love the band’s Highlander soundtrack though, as their songs is partly what made that film one of my cult favorites of the ‘80s.
    "It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."
  • It looks good and Maleks career is going to explode when this is released, but I'm still skeptical.

As Oxley said, I want a Freddie Mercury story, warts and all. We know that Brian May demanded the more sordid details toned down, but every Queen already knows everything about their frontman. I don't see how a truthful cinematic retelling of their story could do any damage.
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited July 2018
    I honestly don't think they're just going to steer around his sexuality, drug use and death. They might not be the primary focus of the film, but they'll be there. In the time from the first teaser to this one, they're already alluding to a lot more of his private life. The trailer even clearly says, "his story" not "their story". But at the same time, they're not gonna put all that nitty gritty stuff in a trailer. They want to get people pumped with all the concert recreations and whatnot, because that's what is gonna put asses in seats.

Also, there's a lot documented about Freddie's private life. You could go and find numerous documentaries about his years cruising gay clubs in Germany and his male lover whom he was with until he died. What I find interesting is that the film is touching on aspects of his life that are much, less documented, like his long-term marriage to Mary Austin, who he said was the love of his life, meanwhile gallivanting around exploring sexual relationships with men. That's an interesting dynamic.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    Its not Freddies story at all. Its being billed that way for money. Its QUEENS story. Cohen has said, Freddie dies at the halfway point if the film. We then see the band coping and continuing.

Was it actually Freddies story, he'd be alive till the films tail end.
  • GrimReaperRoperGrimReaperRoper North Carolina
    I have to say, this is a great trailer. I cannot wait to check this out.
  • @Oxley Well if that's the case they're doing a bloody good job of hiding it. I'm not disputing what you're saying, I don't know, we haven't seen the film yet. But it's worth noting that there's been significant changes to the creative team and script throughout this whole production, so stuff that was there when Cohen left the project might have been completely different a few more months down the line.
    • Guilty Remnant •