Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) May 31st

WillowfangWillowfang SoCal
edited July 2018 in Movies and TV
The new story follows the heroic efforts of the cryptozoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient superspecies, thought to be mere myths, rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity's very existence hanging in the balance.

31 May 2019 (USA)

The Comic-con trailer seems identical

It was the cow...

Comments

• I'm so ready for this.
  • Fucking beautiful trailer.

King Ghidorah and Rodan FTW. B)
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    Trying to avoid watching it... Not.. sure if strength will...... continue.
  • You have about a year to avoid that trailer mate, if it makes you feel better it does a great job at keeping the main event hidden. Doesn't spoil much.
  • Wow, this looks pretty epic.
  • prettyscaryprettyscary Pennsyltucky
    Cannot wait!!
  • Looks great. Mothra looks fucking amazing.
  • Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    This looks amazing. It looks much better than the last film.
    "It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."
  • nancenance maryland
    this looks awesome.
  • I've never seen a better trailer than that. Really hope this is as epic as it looks.
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    So Ghidorah is literally being described as a living Extinction Event. Tearing apart the stratosphere and causing raging electrical storms and hurricane force winds merely by flying through the skies. In fact, from the descriptions of him it seems the opening storm cloud in the beginning of the trailer is him simply arriving.

Rodan and Mothra better make buddy buddy with Godzilla real goddamn quick or they're absolutely fucked.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • Ghidorah is gonna be something else here, I saw a Q&A panel on youtube (will look for it in a second) and someone says lightning breath, and the other guy is like "no, gravity beams"

WTF? Wild ride for sure.

Looked for about an hour and couldn't find it, but they were on a black stage, Michael Dougherty was 1st on the left, and Millie Bobby Brown was maybe 2nd, prolly 3rd on the left, and like 6 people total on stage, the interviewer all the way on the left. Couldn't even find it in my Youtube history /shrug

It was the cow...

• CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    edited July 2018
    @Willowfang

That was the comic con interview, and "Gravity Beams" has always been the name of his lightning breath. Dougherty was just correcting him on what it's called.

tenor.gif
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • @Cryptus Gotcha, thx

It was the cow...

• I am practically a Godzilla virgin. I saw the 1954 Gojira many years ago so it's a little foggy in my memory now, I saw that terrible Matthew Broderick one in the 90's, and I saw the 2014 incarnation. That's it. So I'm not a big Godzilla fan simply by default - I haven't seen enough.

But I have to say, watching this trailer... I get it. I get why people love these monsters so much. It's the first time I've actually got really excited about the Godzilla franchise, and made me want to go and discover all the Shōwa era movies and so on. I probably won't get through them all, but I'll definitely do a bit more diving before I check this one out.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • WillowfangWillowfang SoCal
    edited July 2018
    @Atmosphere I saw them all as I grew up and as they came out or soon enough after. The whole series is doing what it does so well, it's just all so epic for me. Obviously the mileage and magic may vary, but I had the whole series on torrents, rewatched them in my 30s, (51 now), and still loved them all. Anything with Ghidorah was the best

I say find and watch them all. I hope you love them, but who knows. But if you do, look up Godzilla on Wiki and find all the related movies, some of the monsters had their own movies before becoming sidekicks in a Godzilla film

It was the cow...

• Realistically, I probably wouldn't get through every single one. I found a comprehensive list of all the related movies and there is a shit tonne. I work a lot and already don't get to see as many movies as I'd like to. It sucks, but that's life.

I'll probably start with the Shōwa ones and see how far I get, but is there any that you would consider essential viewing?
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • WillowfangWillowfang SoCal
    edited July 2018
    If you're gonna be selective, Showa era, anything with Ghidorah will have the most story that seems like the story has a large meaning to Godzilla history

Hedora, the Smog Monster is pretty cool and wild, kind infamous, the regular director was in the hospital, a new guy made it, and when he got out, he ripped the guy a new one, he hated it so much. But it's like the grindhouse of Godzilla movies

It was the cow...

• Ghidorah!
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I always thought the Mecha Godzilla ones were some of the best also, along with Ghidorah of course.

I watched the trailer looks coooooooool.