Maniac (2018, Netflix Series)

71QUowlfsSL._SY679_.jpg

Two strangers are drawn to a mysterious pharmaceutical trial that will, they're assured, with no complications or side-effects whatsoever, solve all of their problems, permanently. Things do not go as planned.

Fukunaga's long-form cinema follow up to True Detective with Emma Stone/Jonah Hill/Justin Theroux/Sally Field. Theroux plays a more comedic mad scientist type, his best performance and probably the best this year, hilarious. It's a weird mishmash of sci-fi/dramedy that's unlike most things but something that would have been done decades ago, if that makes sense. Last episode was very powerful, overall one of the more effective portraits of mental health and anxiety out there.

Comments

• Still haven't got around to this one. Gave me a Michel Gondry vibe from the trailer. Will get around to it as I'm pretty dry on the series front at the moment.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Sorta, yeah. A lot different than his stuff, but it's more in that league than most things are to Gondry.
  • Watched a couple episodes when it first came out, but it never caught my interest. Probably revisit and give another shot someday, even if it's only to watch Theroux's performance - Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire are two of my favorite movies and The Leftovers (especially the first season) is one of my favorite series.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight