NFL Season 2019

nancenance maryland
with free-agency underway, the 2019 season has officially begun. who will unseat the contemptible patriots? the saints? the chiefs? the rams? the cowboys.

and speaking of the cowboys, i'd like to say best of luck to you, cole beasley in the purgatory you've chosen for yourself in buffalo. you should get every dollar you can, man, especially being a shrimpy wr from smu. you've provided countless memorable moments in your vital cowboys career, none more so than that winning catch against the giants to end the 2018 season. you have money hands, run great routes, and have been an essential bail-out for tony and dak, increasing their efficiency and our drive success. what's more, you're of texas, which, i think, is important. you aint michael irvin, bob hayes, drew pearson, dez bryant, or tony hill, but your legend is secure amongst indispensable receivers like butch johnson, kelvin martin, alvin harper, miles austin, and golden richards.

thanks for everything, cole. if shit doesn't work out in buffalo, please c'mon home.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0910%2Fr256707_1024x576_16%2D9.jpg

(yep, you caught that one)

Comments

• MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    OMG it's March. It's not football time. It's March Madness. It's run to the NHL playoffs. It's early NASCAR season. It's less than a month to baseball. Football. Pffffff.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• nancenance maryland
    sorry, mayday, but there is room in my heart for only one sport: football (although i was super into figure skating from 1988-1992, i watched the nhl closely for the 94-95 season, and i vaguely keep an eye on the hoyas basketball team because my mother routinely teaches the freshman).

free agency and the draft crush all other sports ;)
  • RowdyRoddyCrackpiperRowdyRoddyCrackpiper Badstreet USA
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, Patriots will probably win it all again next year too. If Cole Pusser wants to freeze his nuts off in Buffalo expecting a 43 percent completion QB (who passes for less yards than he runs for) to get him more involved in the offense, good luck with that, boyo.
  • nancenance maryland
    schedules are out. of course we open with the giants. blah.
  • nancenance maryland
    nfl draft gets started tonight. i guess i, like the jones', will hafta content myself with amari cooper highlights. i'm okay with that.
  • nancenance maryland
    Bart Starr passed away. I've always had the highest regard for Starr, who I think gets lost in the discussion of all-time greats. Bart Starr led the Packers to five championships, including two at the cost of my boys. Starr had a nice, easy throwing motion and an unflappable disposition.

https://washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/bart-starr-hall-of-fame-quarterback-for-lombardis-green-bay-packers-dies-at-85/2019/05/26/bbe0ea28-7fcc-11e9-933d-7501070ee669_story.html?utm_term=.bf562a84701a

Super-Bowl-I-Bart-Starr-NLC_00112.jpg?itok=56n6z-yY
    edited July 2019
    Did the resident Browns fan ever get banned? Because he could've gotten drunk and shit on his keyboard instead of ever actually posting anything and made just as valuable a contribution to the 2018 NFL Season omnibus thread.
  • I wonder how Leveon Bell will perform after a year off due to his contract dispute.
  • nancenance maryland
    And I think Zeke would be wise to report to camp. I'm all for him getting a raise--I have no doubt we're gonna wear him out this year--but he's had enough shenanigans that he should tread lightly.
  • Fuck the front office. Get paid while you can, Zeke. Besides the NFL's arbitrary disciplinary process is hot garbage. They gave Zeke a harder look at a suspension for some shoving match at a concert but didn't end up doing shit over a recorded phone call where Tyreek Hill is talking about beating his son after his baby mama mentions him already breaking the kid's arm.
  • nancenance maryland
    @RowdyRoddyCrackpiper yeah, you're right. i get a little annoyed with zeke's stupid behavior, but he has been unfairly penalized for a bunch of things that weren't taken to court. management is always the enemy, especially when they can give zeke 400 carries and then call it a day. i think the cowboys basically ruined/ended demarco murray's career in 2014 and then at contract time said "see ya!"

i lost my head for a moment, man.
  • nancenance maryland
    listened to the hof inductions on the radio last night. gil brandt got me pumped up. he talked-up a lot of guys i love and who belong in the hall--everson walls, drew pearson, lee roy jordan, chuck howly, harvey martin, bill bates, cornell green--and waved the flag for cowboys nation. it was fun hearing him tell old stories, though he think he oversold how much the players liked tom landry (white players sure, black players, not so much). He did discuss how the cowboys were one of the first pro teams to really take a deep dive at hbcs. which was pretty interesting. he also made sure to credit salam qurieshe for helping dallas--and the nfl--begin using computers for scouting. gil revolutionized football while helping build the cowboys with tex, tom, and clint murchison. i was pumped up by the end.

also heard johnny robinson and kevin muwae's induction speeches.

SiriusXM+Presents+Town+Hall+Pro+Football+Fame+I7CUNtcVHzHl.jpg
  • nancenance maryland
    edited August 2019
  • Not a fan of Kyler Murray. I think with his size, he's liable to get hurt pretty bad. He better learn to be a proficient pocket passer as RG3 would tell him. As for Josh Rosen, I think the Dolphins may have gotten the steal of the year. They're paying him 6 mil a year, so it's low risk high reward. I do think the talk about people calling him the next Brett Favre is overblowing it......give the kid a chance to show what he can do without those gigantic expectations, and he might blossom into something. He's got all the right tools, and can make any throw look easy.
    edited August 2019
    It's less about size than build. Technically RG III is bigger than Russell Wilson but he's also built skinny. RG III can't tell anybody jackshit about becoming a proficient pocket passer, because he never became one himself. The only way people are calling Rosen the next Brett Favre is them both getting traded after one season. Stylistically their games couldn't be any more different. Rosen might be accurate, but he doesn't have a cannon like Matthew Stafford. Favre also partied his way out of Atlanta more than anything else. The Cardinals bailing on Rosen so soon had a lot to do with Kingsbury as the new guru being allured with the shiny new object, Kyler Murray.

I wonder if Rosen's game is too mechanical. If you have zero escapability and are playing behind a porous O-line, you're going to piss away throws that others more nimble in the pocket would be able to make. The biggest issue facing Rosen is the fact that the Dolphins' O-line are another collection of turnstiles like the Cardinals. As far as local and national media scrutiny goes, I don't think expectations have really changed that much. Even not having done shit for 35 years, the Dolphins are still more of a signature franchise than the Cardinals. A second-round pick isn't exactly a throwaway pick either. Also now that the knives and forks are already out with Rosen's original team bailing on him, critics will probably be even quicker to label him a bust. As far as Rosen putting it together, Drew Brees would be the best comparison. Even then at least Brees was given three years to solidify himself as the starter with the Chargers before they drafted Philip Rivers. Rosen might eventually put it together but this is going to be a pretty rough year for him with the Dolphins.
  • nancenance maryland
    it's pretty petty bullshit to be putting dak's contract negotiations in the public eye. it's clearly an effort to make him look greedy and ungrateful. pay him, jerry. and find a way to get amari and zeeke their money, too.
  • The Joneses are scurrilous cocksuckers.
  • @RowdyRoddyCrackpiper Well I mean, if the Dolphins shit the bed again, there's always Tua. They should totally throw Rosen in the lineup week 1 to find out what he's made of. It took them 7 years to make a decision on Tannehill, so they don't have much time to give Rosen before next year's draft. Might as well find out what you have now.
  • Yeah, they should definitely play him. Rosen will probably end up being some strange case of a journeyman like Case Keenum where he eventually puts it together for one season on his third or fourth team.