What's the Last Book You Read?

Post the latest book you've finished and any thoughts/recommendations regarding books, authors and subjects.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

Comments

• Adam Cesare's The Summer Job. <3

• Doctor Faustus

• MaydayMayday - Mega-City One

Bone White - Robert Malfi. Once again Malfi manages to tell a tale unlike any he told previously, and creates a slow-burn thriller that has you feel the frustrations of the protagonist as the story slowly builds and meets wtih resistance along the way. And again it was a well-written novel that were it not for knowing the author I wouldn't necessarily know it a Malfi book. His unique style is that he doesn't have an obvious writing style besides producing great stories with fleshed-out characters and terrific atmosphere.

• American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis. And well... it's... bloody disgusting, literally. Just a little less nasty than "Cows" by Matthew Stokoe. Highly recommended. Both.

american-psycho-book-cover.jpg

3fe04a6c79235b9e1b115ab7efa2a54d.jpg

Origin - Dan Brown. A slight deviation for Brown on this Robert Langdon thriller, as it revolves around technology and a false church instead of clues hidden in classic architecture or works of art. Another briskly paced tale, but a bit formulaic, and if you know his books, figuring out the big twists wasn't that hard. Still a fun enough novel.

51Gk%2B%2ByHGHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Killers of the Flower Moon - The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - David Grann. I got this book from the library because the subject matter sounded fascinating and the author has written a previous wonderful historical novel, The Lost City of Z which was released as a terrific film earlier this year. However, with this book, though the premise if intriguing, the writing was off and just didn't convey the material in all that interesting a fashion, and the last part of the book is written in a completely different style, and with no resolution to the issues it brings up. It's a pretty good historical novel, but not one of the best ones I've encountered.

edited November 2017
    51ytBg5le-L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

All the Missing Girls - Megan Miranda. A twisty thriller that breaks normal conventions by telling the story in reverse, revealing more at the beginning that at the end. It starts off a bit confusing and offputting, but gets increasingly better as it goes along, and resolves in unpredictable ways. Truly one for fans of books like Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train

• 516uvS8NqwL._SY264_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

Finished reading the Shining. I liked it, and I can understand why King was upset with Kubrick because the ending takes an entirely new direction. With that being said, I still love Kubrick's movie and think King needs to lighten up concerning it.

I think it would be cool seeing a remake following King's idea more though, I understand there are the 1997 Shining Ministries, anyone know where I can possibly find where to watch em?
    @Glass Eater Not sure if the 97 remake is on DVD or YouTube or anything, but despite King crowing about how wonderful it was for sticking closer to his ending (which they didn't have CGI for in 1980 which is partially why they changed it), the mini series was fucking awful. And its 'state-of-the-art' CGI from the time looks even shittier by today's standards.

• edited November 2017
    @Mayday Thanks for the info and yeah that seems to be the norm in what I'm hearing concerning the TV movie.

I'll maybe watch it sometime when I know it's free and I have nothing better to do, but so far everyone's opinion has made me not care to rush it.
    edited November 2017
    51Hn3IGGjyL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Paradox Bound by Peter Clines. An amusing tale about time travelers, but not Clines' best book, and a little too clichéd. I liked it, but not nearly as much as his previous novels.

2015645.jpg
    The Wake - Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy. It was an interesting story, but somewhat disappointing, as it jumps around and kind of skips details, like they didn't know how to get to where they wanted the story to go, so they just continued without worrying about it.

• EdgeDancer, Brandon Sanderson.

34703445._UY400_SS400_.jpg

Novella to set up Oathbringer (third book in the Stormlight Archive) which just came out yesterday. God I'm stoked.
    515AVUs35AL.jpg

Halloween - Magic, Mystery and the Macabre - edited by Paula Guran. An anthology of tails surrounding Halloween time, often invoking elements of magic. Overall, most of the stories satisfying to great with only one or two real clunkers. One of the better anthologies I've read in awhile.

• I’m wrapping up It by Stephen King and then I may be starting a war hammer book over... I started it once before and got distracted :(
  • The DC Comics Encyclopedia
    edited November 2017
    51vSCp7I7lL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Coldbrook - Tim Lebbon. A mash-up of genres featuring zombies/infected and parallel worlds. While I've usually been a fan of Lebbon's work, this one was just way too long, full of too much character thoughts/drama, and over-used sci-fi and zombie tropes. It was much better in concept than execution.

61ehngq86yL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    The Sasquatch Hunter's Almanac - Sharma Shields. One of the worst books I've ever made the mistake of reading. Completely idiotic with no redeeming value.

• KLpTgVE.jpg

This is the last book I read. It's a collection of 4 horror stories (short), and I thought it was really good, especially from a new author.