Atreyu is currently on tour with Hollywood Undead in support of their new album ‘Congregation of the Damned’, and Bloody Disgusting caught up with the band for a quick interivew…
1. To promote your new album, Congregation of the Damned, you launched a cool, zombie-killing web game. Are you fans of horror video games? What are some of your favorites?
We’re all fans of video games, some more than others. I’ve always been fond of the Resident Evil games. Dead Space kept my butt pretty puckered too.
2. You’ve said that “the feel of [Congregation of the Damned] is darker, heavier…”. What inspired you to go in that direction, both musically and lyrically? Is there a limit to how dark you’re willing to go?
I think each album is a representation of where we’re at as individuals and musicians at that given time. Also, each album is a stepping stone to the next one. This album wouldn’t sound like it does if it weren’t for our previous album, Lead Sails Paper Anchor. We had to make Lead Sails in order to make Congregation of the Damned.
3. Although you’ve omitted any cover songs to focus on your original material for this album, Atreyu has been known to do some amazing cover songs from bands like Bon Jovi, Faith No More, and The Descendants. If the whole band, as a group, had to start a band that covered only ONE artist or band, who would it be and why?
This question is impossible to answer. You’d get 5 different answers. Personally, I’d cover Christopher Cross songs…because Sailing DOES take me away.
4. You’re currently touring with Escape the Fate and Hollywood Undead. What’s been your favorite show of the tour? Do you have any good road stories you can share with us?
This tour has been a lot of fun. The Chicago show was great..as well as Orlando, Dallas, Toronto, etc. Nothing too crazy has happened on the tour really. Just a lot of drunken bro-down sessions. George and Dillon from HU came up on our bus wasted yesterday morning and made sexual advances toward our drummer and bass player while they were sleeping in their bunks. Great way to start the day if you ask me.
5. What does the future hold for Atreyu? Do you have any future touring planned? Can we expect to see any more singles or soundtrack songs released?
A lot of opportunities have popped up over the past few weeks so it’s all kind of up in the air. We finish up this tour in a couple of days and are relaxing at home for the holidays. We’ll be going to Japan with Killswitch Engage and CKY in January, which we’re super excited about. It’s been a few years since we’ve last been to Japan, and to go over there with those bands will be amazing.
6. ON A SERIOUS NOTE: What is your favorite bar to drink at on the road?
We’ve always enjoyed the BBQ Bar in Orlando. I always remember arriving to the bar, but I never remember leaving…always a sign of a good time.
‘Congregation of the Damned’ is in stores now, or you can pick it up from iTunes
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - June 26, 2017 - The Evil Within 2, Jason...
The Evil Within 2 was shown at E3, Victor Miller is trying to get the rights back to Jason Voorhees, and Saw: Legacy has an official title! It's This Week in Horror with Whitney Moore!Posted by Bloody Disgusting on Monday, June 26, 2017
George A. Romero Has Passed Away at the Age of 77
Here’s the “American Horror Story” Season 7 Title Reveal! #SDCC
[Trailer] Guillermo del Toro’s ‘The Shape of Water’ Takes the Creature Out of the Lagoon
Here’s Why Bill Skarsgard Was Cast as Pennywise in ‘IT’
Joe Hill Says This Year’s ‘IT’ is One of the 5 Scariest Films Ever Made