We’ve got a whole bunch of new goodies for the best-worst movie ever made, Birdemic: Shock and Terror, starting with this BBC News video (yes, it’s spread to the UK!). To go along with that fun little treat, below you’ll find a brand new trailer entitled “The Birdemic Experience Tour 2010,” along with a rash of new dates. The infection is spreading and it looks like you’ll all have a chance to experience the “Shock and Terror” by the end of the year. Seen it already? Post your thoughts here.
Severin Films has received countless emails and phone calls from fans across the continent, demanding that `BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR’ be brought to their town,” said Carl Daft, CEO and co-founder of Severin Films. “We are very happy to announce that the greatest avian-based romantic thriller since THE BIRDS will be making its proper debut in theaters throughout North America. Our only concern is…who will survive?”
BIRDEMIC, described by Nguyen as “a romantic thriller,” is a horror/action/special-effects-driven love story about a young couple trapped in a small Northern California town under siege by homicidal birds. BIRDEMIC also tackles topical issues of global warming, avian flu, world peace, organic living, sexual promiscuity and lavatory access.
Nguyen, a 42-year-old Vietnamese refugee, wrote, cast and shot the film over the course of four years using salary from his day job as a mid-level software salesman in Silicon Valley. The film pays homage to Hitchcock’s THE BIRDS via location shooting in Mission Bay, California, as well as an appearance by star of THE BIRDS Tippi Hedren. When rejected for an official screening slot at Sundance, Nguyen spent eight days driving up and down the festival’s nearby streets in a van covered with fake birds, frozen blood and BIRDEMIC posters, while loudspeakers blared the sounds of eagle attacks and human screams. The tactic caught the attention of festival organizers, filmgoers and local police, as well as executives from Severin Films. Severin’s executives walked into a screening, took one look at Nguyen’s masterwork, and immediately locked up BIRDEMIC’s worldwide rights for the next twenty years. Discussions are currently underway for Severin to add an additional thirty years to the initial agreement.
Fans can connect with BIRDEMIC on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/birdemic), Twitter (http://twitter.com/birdemic) and the Web (www.birdemic.com).
* April 16th — LOS ANGELES, CA — Cinefamily @ The Silent Movie Theater
* April 16th & 17th — WASHINGTON, DC — E Street Theater
* April 23rd — PORTLAND, OR — The Bridgetown Comedy Festival @ The Baghdad!
* April 23rd & 24th — DENVER, CO — Esquire Theater (Director James Nguyen in person 4/24!)
* April 23rd-25th, 28th — DETROIT, MI — The Burton Theater
* April 23rd & 24th — RICHMOND, VA — Bowtie Cinemas
* April 30th & May 1st — SAN FRANCISCO, CA — The Roxie Theater (Official Bay Area Premiere) *James Nguyen and Cast of BIRDEMIC in Attendance*
* April 30th-May 6th — PORTLAND, OR — The Clinton Street Theater
* May 7th & 8th — NEW HAVEN, CT — Bowties Cinemas @ The Criterion
* May 8th — PHILADELPHIA, PA — Ritz East Theater
* May 14th & 15th — NASHVILLE, TN — The Belcourt Theater
* May 15th — MILWAUKEE, WI — The Oriental Theater
* May 19th — AUSTIN, TX — Alamo Drafthouse Ritz
* May 20th – TORONTO, ON – The Bloor Cinema (Presented by Rue Morgue)
* May 21st & 22nd — MINNEAPOLIS, MN — The Uptown Theater
* May 21st & 22nd — HOUSTON, TX — River Oaks Theater
* May 21st & 22nd — COLUMBUS, OH —
* June 4th & 5th — DALLAS, TX — The Inwood Theater
* June 4th – 6th — BOSTON, MA — The Brattle Theatre
* June 11th & 12th — CLEVELAND, OH — The Cleveland Cinematheque
* June 15th, 18th & 20th — ATLANTA, GA — The Plaza Theater
* June 16th — AUSTIN, TX — Alamo Drafthouse Ritz
* June 18th & 19th — CHICAGO, IL — The Music Box Theater – *James Nguyen in Attendance, presented by Bloody-Disgusting.com!
* June 25th & 26th — SEATTLE, WA — The Egyptian Theater
* July 16th & 17th – TUCSON, AZ -The Loft Cinema