Two of the best films I’ve seen this past decade were Filmax’s verite zombie/possession flicks Rec and Rec 2 (in theaters this July). While the Spanish brain children behind the pic, Paco Plaza and Jaume Balaguero, have openly said they won’t return to direct, it’s hard to ignore such big international success as the duo will now split directing responsibilities for two new films! Read on for the skinny.
Major Spanish studio Filmax will produce two new [REC] films in the next couple of years called [REC] Genesis and [REC] Apocalypse from the same directors as the first two [REC] films.
[REC] directors Paco Plaza and Jaume Balaguero will split directing responsibilities for the two films. Plaza will direct the first film Genesis, which much like the Batman and Star Trek franchises will return to the origin of the original infection that caused humans to turn into zombies.
Paco Plaza and Luis Alejandro Berdejo (The New Daughter) will co-write Genesis with Balaguero actively involved in the development of the project. The film is expected to be delivered in the autumn of 2011.
Apocalypse will be directed by Balaguero and will end the [REC] saga with the pandemic spreading to unknown proportions. Plaza will assist on the project, which is expected to be delivered in the autumn of 2012.
“We were overwhelmed by the audience’s reaction to [REC]. It was precisely this which inspired us to keep going with [REC]2. Again, the great support we have received from audiences and Filmax motivates us to investigate the [REC] idea even further,” say Plaza and Balagueró.
Cast, budgets and shooting details are yet to be confirmed for either project.
“We are really excited about the prospect of two new and completely revolutionary [REC] films,” says Julio Fernández, president of Filmax.
The first two [REC] films proved hugely popular in Spain with the first taking $12m back in 2007 and the second $8m last year, and both sold widely abroad.
The two new [REC] films will be presented at the Cannes market by Filmax.
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - May 1, 2017 - The Mist, Hellboy, Michael...
The Mist has an extra gory new trailer, Hellboy is getting an R-rated reboot, and legendary actor Michael Parks passed away.Posted by Bloody-Disgusting on Wednesday, May 17, 2017