As we broke the news exclusively last week, The Evil Dead franchise star Bruce Campbell was rumored for a cameo in the Federico Alvarez-directed reboot that’s to go into production some time next year.
Spanish website El Pais caught up with Alvarez who all but confirmed the cameo, while also giving fans some hefty reassurance.
“We realize the mistakes not to make,” says Alvarez. “As fans of the original, we know we are going to offend those who are also fans just by taking this job. We’re going to honor the original film along with the existing fans and hope to bring in a new audience as well.”
“Because we are fans of the original, we realize that nobody wants to see a celebrity in a remake like this,” he continues. “The only recognizable face will be that of Bruce Campbell, and he will be in a cameo toward the end of the film. We are going to change the characters and some story details, while keeping the basic outline of friends who are beleaguered by demons in a cabin alone.”
Alvarez continues, “Sam Raimi says there’s a fine line between horror and comedy. The original Evil Dead was intended as a straight horror movie with scenes of extreme gore directly designed to shock the viewer. I rented the movie with a friend from a video store at just thirteen years old, and that was a big mistake! The film scared the life out of us.”
Diablo Cody is currently rewriting Alvarez’s treatment.
AROUND THE WEB
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - November 6, 2017 - Pet Sematary, Horror ...
Starry Eyes duo Dennis Widmyer and Kevin Kolsch will take over the Pet Sematary Remake, 2017 was the best year for horror movies ever, and James O'Barr will be heavily involved in the upcoming The Crow film. It's THIS WEEK IN HORROR with Whitney Moore!Posted by Bloody Disgusting on Tuesday, November 7, 2017