He was the “Man of a Thousand Faces.” Generations of filmgoers the world over have been thrilled by his portrayals that showcased – and more often than not, empathized with – the shadows of human nature. And now the makeup artistry of a true cinematic pioneer can be seen in high definition! On November 1st, Image Entertainment releases the Lon Chaney classic Phantom of the Opera for the first time on Blu-ray! The Blu-ray features 3 versions of the film – assembled together for the first time in a single release — including a brand-new high definition digital transfer from the 35mm negative, plus Gaylord Carter’s famous theatre organ score, released for the first time as recorded in stereo!
Produced by renowned silent film authority and preservationist David Shepard, the Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray(TM) includes the following versions:
- Brand-new HD digital transfer of the 24fps version of 1929 reissue (Academy Aspect Ratio; 16×9 pillar-boxed) from the 35mm negative, with tinted sequences including the Bal Masque sequence in two-strip Technicolor. Featuring a brand new music score by Alloy Orchestra, plus Gaylord Carter’s famous theatre organ score, released for the first time in stereo
- Brand-new HD transfer of 20fps version of 1929 reissue with tinting, Technicolor and hand-coloring. Symphonic score composed by Gabriel Thibaudeau, performed by I Musici de Montreal, conducted by Yuri Turovsky with Claudine Cote, soprano presented in stereo, along with a new full-length audio essay by Dr. Jon Mirsalis
- Standard definition presentation of the original 1925 release from a 16mm tinted source copy. Accompanied by a new piano score by Dr. Frederick Hodges.
Chaney stars as Erik, the “Phantom” who lives deep within the twisting catacombs and dungeons beneath the 19th century Paris Opera House. The singers all speak of a ghost who walks the halls, yet no one has ever seen him. But when Erik falls in love with the beautiful aspiring singer Christine, rumor becomes reality when he kidnaps her and holds her hostage in his lair. Hoping, praying that she might see beyond the mask and the disfigurement hiding under it…
As in all his films, Chaney designed the now signature makeup for the Phantom, employing techniques – like pining his nose with wires – that not only expressed the outward physical pain of the characters, but inflicted great personal discomfort on the actor bringing them to life.
The Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray(TM) also contains the following bonus features:
- Theatrical trailer
- Photo Gallery
- The complete Phantom Script
- Phantom Souvenir Program Reproduction
“If I am the Phantom, it is because man’s hatred has made me so… If I shall be saved, it will be because your love redeems me.”