As we learned last week, The Chicago Cinema Society has unearthed an incredibly rare 35mm print of Dario Argento’s Suspiria that they’re taking on tour beginning next month. Specifically, it’s the fully uncut Italian version of the classic film, which has been released to home video but has seldom been seen on the big screen.
“The print was rescued from an Italian cinema that had closed down and the print had gone untouched in their storage area since 1977/78,” the CCS announced. “After a brief inspection to assess the overall condition of the print, it appears as if it had only been screened a handful of times at most. The print is in excellent physical condition with no substantial wear, uncut heads and tails, minimal fading and no vinegar syndrome.”
They added, “We were stunned to find that the print is a completely uncut 6-reel print with a run time of 98 minutes in Italian language.”
Several new U.S. dates and locales have been added to the tour, which you’ll find below!
- 7/28 – 7/30/2017: The Metrograph, New York City, NY
- 8/11/2017: Roxie Theatre, San Francisco, CA
- 8/23 – 8/25/2017: Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
- 9/1/2017: The Denver Film Society, Denver, CO
- 9/7/2017: The Michigan Theater, Ann Arbor, MI
- 9/16/2017: The Belcourt Theatre, Nashville, TN
- 10/14/2017: Coolidge Corner Theatre, Brookline, MA
- 10/26 – 10/27/2017: Northwest Film Forum, Seattle, WA
- Late Fall: Music Box Theatre, Chicago, IL
- 11/18/2017: Alamo Drafthouse, Littleton, CO
- 11/24/2017: Alamo Drafthouse, Yonkers, NY
- 12/2/2017: Northwest Film Center, Portland, OR
- 12/13/2017: Suy-Ray Cinema, Jacksonville, FL
- 1/12/2018: Cinema Arts Centre, Huntington, NY
- 1/18/2018: The Charles Theater, Baltimore, MD
- 1/27/2018: Hollywood Theater, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2/3/2018: Coral Gables Art Cinema, Miami, FL
- 2/17/2018: The Little Theatre, Rochester, NY
In the meantime, check out some clips from the print below!