It was David Cronenberg who raved that Terry Gilliam’s Tideland, released in 2005, is a “poetic horror film,” which is good enough for us to classify it in the horror genre. A rich slice of Southern Gothic blurring whimsical fantasy with unsettling reality, Tideland is headed to Blu-ray this coming August (in the US and UK) via Arrow Video!
Announced today, Arrow will release Tideland on August 13 in UK/August 14 in US.
For his tenth feature, Terry Gilliam (Time Bandits, Twelve Monkeys) adapted Mitch Cullin’s celebrated cult novel Tideland, a work he once described as “Alice in Wonderland meets Psycho through the eyes of Amélie.”
To escape her unhappy life in a remote part of Texas, nine-year-old Jeliza-Rose dreams up an elaborate fantasy world. But the reality of having junkie parents – played by Jeff Bridges (The Big Lebowski) and Jennifer Tilly (Bound) – and the influence of her eccentric neighbours begins to encroach, turning her daydreams ever darker.
Special Edition Contents:
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Commentary by writer-director Terry Gilliam and co-writer Tony Grisoni
• Introduction by director Terry Gilliam
• Getting Gilliam, a 45-minute documentary on the making of Tideland by Vincenzo Natali (Cube, Splice)
• The Making of Tideland featurette
• Filming Green Screen featurette with commentary by Gilliam
• Interviews with Terry Gilliam, producer Jeremy Thomas and actors Jeff Bridges, Jodelle Ferland and Jennifer Tilly
• Deleted scenes with commentary by Gilliam
• B-roll footage
• Theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring two choices of original artwork
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Neil Mitchell.