In the wake of German label Turbine Media Group bringing John Landis‘ long out-of-print first feature film, the ’73 cult comedy Schlock, to Blu-ray for the first time earlier this year, Arrow Video has announced this morning that they’re bringing it to Blu-ray in the US and UK!
From writer/director John Landis, the mind behind The Blues Brothers and An American Werewolf in London, comes a love story that transcends the boundaries of nature and good taste – the one and only Schlock!
Carnage! Terror! Banana skins! The mighty prehistoric ape Schlocktropus has emerged from hiding to embark on a full-scale rampage across a quiet Southern Californian suburb. The police are baffled. The army is powerless. The body count is rising. But when Schlocktropus encounters a kindly blind woman (Eliza Garrett) who sees beyond his grotesque visage, the homicidal simian is presented with a chance at redemption…
Shot over twelve days on a micro-budget, Schlock launched the careers of both Landis and legendary effects makeup artist Rick Baker (Videodrome). An uproarious pastiche of monster movies, packed to the gills with irreverent humour and biting satire, Schlock serves as the outrageous missing link between the creature features of yesteryear and its creators’ subsequent varied and celebrated careers.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original lossless mono soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by writer/director John Landis and makeup artist Rick Baker
• New video interview with author and critic Kim Newman
• Birth of a Schlock, a 2017 video interview with John Landis
• Archival video interview with cinematographer Bob Collins
• 1972, 1979 and 1982 US theatrical trailers
• US radio spots
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Joe Bob Briggs
Schlock will hit Blu-ray in the UK on October 15 and US on October 16.