Movies
Ed Neumeier Talks Neill Blomkamp’s ‘RoboCop Returns,’ a Direct Sequel to Paul Verhoeven’s Original Classic
Announced last year, Neill Blomkamp is set to direct a sequel to the original RoboCop for MGM, and what’s particularly interesting about the project is that the basis for it is a script that original RoboCop scribes Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner wrote back in the ’80s, which Blomkamp is currently rewriting alongside Justin Rhodes.
In RoboCop Returns…
Anarchy reigns and the fate of Detroit hangs in the balance as RoboCop makes his triumphant return to fight crime and corruption.
Chatting with HN Entertainment this week, Neumeier teased Blomkamp’s vision for the film.
“I am a producer at the moment,” Neumeier told the site. “We talked about it a couple of years back and I reminded [MGM] that we had written a very rough sequel back in 1988 which then was stopped by the writer’s strike, the same year. And they looked at it and they said ‘oh, good!’, so we did some more work on that and then Neill Blomkamp found out about it and he said ‘I have always wanted to do this, this is my dream project’ and MGM was very very pleased to get into business with him.”
He continued, “Neill Blomkamp and his screenwriter Justin Rhodes have done a pass on the script we were writing on and they’re doing another one. It is a slightly different concept in some ways than we were originally doing. I don’t want to talk too much about it or somebody will call me and tell me to shut up, but we’re hopeful and I think Neill really really wants to make a good RoboCop movie. His idea is that it should be the proper Verhoeven… if Verhoeven had directed a movie right after RoboCop… I think that’s what he is trying to achieve and I hope he does. We’ll see what happens next.”
We do know that Blomkamp’s film aims to be bloody and most definitely rated “R,” and we’ve also heard that he wants Peter Weller back. Neumeier confirmed that in the chat.
“As you know from the press that Neill Blomkamp wants to bring back Peter Weller back and what you get when you do that, if you use the DNA of the old property in the new, is that you get something that shares continuity and fans can embrace the brand,” he explained.
Movies
‘The Deep Dark’ Trailer – French Horror Movie Looks Like ‘My Bloody Valentine’ Meets Creature Feature
Up next from French filmmaker Mathieu Turi (Hostile, Meander) is The Deep Dark, which looks to be headed to theaters in France beginning on November 29, 2023.
We don’t yet have any idea when the film will be released here in the United States, but a French trailer for The Deep Dark has surfaced this week. You can check it out below.
The Deep Dark is said to have “Lovecraft vibes,” and the end of the trailer teases some kind of skeletal creature. My Bloody Valentine meets Lovecraftian creature feature? We like it.
The film is set in 1956, in the north of France…
“A band of underground miners is forced to lead a professor to take samples a thousand meters underground. After a landslide prevents them from going back up, they discover a crypt from another time, and unknowingly wake up something that should have remained asleep.”
Samuel Le Bihan, Amir El Kacem, Thomas Solivérès, Jean-Hugues Anglade, Marc Riso, Bruno Sanches, Diego Martin, and Philippe Torreton star.
“The Deep Dark (Gueules Noires) will be a mix of horror and adventure, in the best tradition of H.P. Lovecraft stories, but set in a French reality and a strong social context,” Turi said in a recent statement. “After Meander, I’m lucky enough to work again with FULLTIME STUDIO on this crazy project I deeply love. It’s going to be a character-driven story, confronting the old and the new generations in an exciting and terrifying quest to the unknown.”


You must be logged in to post a comment.