All we really know about next year’s live action Ghostbusters film at the moment is that it’ll be directed by Jason Reitman and return to the continuity of the original films, disregarding the events of Paul Feig’s 2016 remake entirely. Reitman co-wrote the script with Gil Kenan, and the film may or may not feature the return of the original characters.
In a chat with Bill Burr on his Monday Morning Podcast this week, Reitman teased that his Ghostbusters film will, in his own words, “hand the movie back to the fans.”
“This is going to be a love letter to Ghostbusters,” said Reitman, whose dad Ivan directed the original Ghostbusters movies. “I love this franchise. I grew up watching it. I consider myself the first Ghostbusters fan. I was seven years old when that movie came out and I love it. I want to make a movie for my fellow Ghostbusters fans.”
He added, “We are, in every way, trying to go back to the original technique and hand the movie back to the fans.”
If last month’s surprise teaser trailer (below) was any indication, Reitman and his team are indeed going to painstaking lengths to recapture the overall feel of the originals.
“We went back to the work files for the sound of the proton pack. And we went back to the stems of Elmer Berstein’s score,” Reitman noted. “Just for where it says, in the teaser, ‘Summer 2020,’ we went back and found the original physical vinyl letters they used to create the Ghostbusters poster in 1984. Rescanned them and then our titles guys reprinted them. We filmed the titles. Not like in a computer. We shot physical titles with a light and smoke effect because that’s how they would have done it back in the day.”
We can only assume that the original gang will be back, given the film’s “return to form” approach, but at this time, none of the actors have officially stepped into the Ecto-1.