Justice League

There's a RT embargo in place, but reviews ARE out and they are ranging from poor to bad. Why can't Zac Snyder make a bloody decent film with these characters? They deserve better, especially after the WW movie.

justice-league-reactions-are-in.jpeg

Comments

• edited November 2017
    The fact that this was directed by two people is no doubt part of the problem

The cult like Marvel following is part of the problem. These are different movies

Eight million characters in these movies (that aren't established) is a problem

I remember going to see The Avengers with my friends, and it was so hype going into it knowing all these established stars were going to be in a movie together. It was a true spectacle. I see the picture you posted in this thread and it's just Batman/Superman. Wonder Woman still doesn't feel legit after her awesome movie. It's impossible to get past the "DC doing Marvel" stigma because that really is what they're trying to do. They can't.

I still retain that BvS is absolutely incredible (finale/dialogue/characters notwithstanding) and there will be a lot of that here, but it was never gonna be received the way an Avengers would be. Gotta judge it on its own terms, the DC vs Marvel shit is toxic and the films, their fans, everything all suffers.

Fuck the critics, fuck the franchises, just try to enjoy the show and critique the movie we get.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    Reviews were shit for BvS and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Reviews are pointless to me anyways especially on RT.
  • You gotta find reviewers who are somewhat aligned with your taste, then compare that to the overall consensus. Only critics I follow are on Letterboxd. Newspaper/"professional" critics are a joke.
    You are that to me Se7en. Whatever you like I think is shit so....

giphy.gif
  • edited November 2017
    I have a genuine interest in this like every other movie, so am looking forward to seeing what it's like.

I just wished that Warner had taken the time to introduce these characters properly. They should have done stand alone movies first so we can get to know them all. The WW movie was awesome.

Marvel can be blamed to a degree because every studio now wants their own interconnected universe. Universal have tried with their Dark Universe and have failed miserably with The Mummy.

From the reviews I've read JL is funny and light. That's not DC. These characters are supposed to be dark. There's a problem already. Trying to emulate Marvel and not understanding what makes the DC character work. They're polar opposites.
  • With you on that Rusted

@TexasSnacks I like BvS tho.
    jtcUw27.gif
  • I just want a half decent film with these characters.
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    Watch Wonder Woman and hold up a copy of Justice League comic book in front of one eye and you can pretend you're seeing a good film with all the characters.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• That's actually funny as fuck lol
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited November 2017
    Such a forgettable movie. Seriously. It's not particularly bad, but no way near what it needed to be. Warner Bros are mostly to blame here for rushing the movie out without fleshing these characters out beforehand. I mean they weren't even sure what the Wonder Woman reception was going to be before the thing was rolling. And it really harms the film. The Flash, for instance, is nothing more than a comic relief character, which might have been fine if they had already established him with a standalone movie, but it means that they're going to have to sort of build the character from the ground up going forward. Cyborg comes off OK. Ray Fisher plays the role with charm, and there's a great origins story in the mix that could easily fill a standalone film but instead is rushed into an already extremely condensed film. Aquaman is sort of as expected, but again it feels like more of a trailer for a character we don't fully know yet (in this Cinematic Universe). Wonder Woman is fine, more of the same which isn't a bad thing but there's no expansion of the character. The same can be said for Batman, who's lost a lot of the bite he had in BvS.

The film as a whole is very light in tone, which seems to squander all the work Snyder did (whether you like it or not) in the previous movies of establishing a very gritty, bleak ambience. There's actually very little Snyder in the movie at all. Visually? I mean, there's some nice cinematography - Gotham has never looked better than in the earlier scenes of the movie - but at the same time there's some really unconvincing green screen work and CG. I understand that a film of this proportion is going to be as fantastical and grand as possible, but a times it looked like the actors were just rendered into entirely CG scenery. Also, I'm not sure the reasoning, but it appears that Cavill wouldn't shave his moustache and so it's covered with CG, but the result is a really odd looking effect where his mouth appears to be completely digitised in some scenes and it's very off-putting.

Don't know what else there is to say. There's some good and mostly bad. I feel like hardcore DC fans might still love it because there's a lot of smashing and thrashing spectacle showing what these characters can do, just unfortunately no insight into what actually makes them heroic in the first place. And shame on Warner's for trying so hard to capitalize on the success of Avengers by rushing out this product and aping their competitors brand. There's at least 4 hours worth of potential material here crammed into just under 2, and trust me... it really shows. Meh.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Can't be any worse than Thor: Ragnorak. Guess I'll have to find out for myself.

(I enjoyed Thor 3, but god there were so many issues I had with it).
    @Glass Eater like the fact it was the same exact storyline from part 1?
  • @TexasSnacks Rofl, surprisingly that wasn't it. Mostly small things. SPOILERS!!!

Well for starters, what good is a raised immortal Undead army of Asgardians (which Thor's sister raised from the dead) if they can be mowed down our own police force considering we also have guns. Funny scene, but the humor in this movie really made some things almost too predictable, and practically erased the tension.

Let's not forget how The Hulk in this movie has become a giant teddy bear. Sorry Marvel, not a fan.
  • Going to see it tonight. Low expectations.

@Atmosphere I trust your views
  • edited November 2017
    @Atmosphere

Spot on. It's not good but it's not bad. I was actually really entertained in some parts, especially the third act, but it's kind of meh, but better than BVS.

The main problem is the characters. Wonder Woman is the best because we know her. Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman look and do cool things but we don't know them. Affleck seems bored and is just going through the motions. The other main problem is that it's so rushed. As Atmosphere said, Warner wanting their own Marvel success is what is actually sinking them with these films. If we had a slow build up to this with character stand alone films then all would be fine. Another pain point is Steppenwolf. A character in makeup would have been a lot better than an entirely CG creation.

I could go on but can't be bothered. It's better than BVS but nowhere near as good as Wonder Woman, but I was somewhat entertained.

3/5
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    @gunsrazorsknives Well, you seem to have most 'positive' review of the film, and everything that everyone is saying, I will be saving $7 or so as this can wait for HBO. I'll wait for the next WW movie to return to the cinemas, and hope that Patty Jenkins is handed the reins of any future franchise entries.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• @gunsrazorsknives
    @Mayday

Wonder Woman was cool here mostly because of Gal Gadot and the work done in the standalone film. Snyder on the other hand had no handle on the character, and I feared that she might just become the butt of teenage boy humor in an ensemble like this. There was one scene in particular where I could literally feel Patty Jenkins groaning through the celluloid.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Justice League is the greatest thing ever made.

~God of the fly.. release your seed of filth, to grow and conquer, on death, on myself..~
  • 10/10.

~God of the fly.. release your seed of filth, to grow and conquer, on death, on myself..~