In the world of Stephen King, Carrie is an incredibly important tale. Not only was it the first novel King had published, but it was also the first one to be adapted into a feature film. Brian De Palma directed the first adaptation of Carrie in 1976, and it’s just been given a stunning new 4K restoration by Arrow Video.
Announced today for the UK, Carrie has been restored in 4K from the original negative for a collector’s edition that provides the definitive release of a horror classic.
“In 1974, Stephen King published his first novel, the story of Carrie White, a troubled young girl, bullied by her peers and daughter to a fanatical fundamentalist mother, who discovers she has telekinetic powers. In 1976, it became the first of his works to be adapted for the big screen and, to this day, remains one of the very best.”
Special features include…
- Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Nope, Nothing Wrong Here: The Making of Cujo, and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Cultographies: Ms. 45 and Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria, recorded exclusively for this release
- Brand-new visual essay comparing the various versions and adaptations of Carrie across the years
- Acting Carrie, archive featurette containing interviews with director Brian De Palma, actors Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt and others
- More Acting Carrie, additional interviews with the cast of the film • Visualising Carrie: From Words to Images, archive featurette containing interviews with De Palma, writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch and art director Jack Fisk • Singing Carrie: Carrie the Musical, archive featurette on the stage musical adaptation of King’s novel
- Writing Carrie, an interview with writer Lawrence D. Cohen • Shooting Carrie, an interview with cinematographer Mario Tosi
- Cutting Carrie, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch • Casting Carrie, an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg
- Bucket of Blood, an interview with composer Pino Donaggio
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds, a look back at the locations of Carrie
- TV spots
- Radio spots
- Carrie trailer reel
- Limited edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Neil Mitchell, author of Devil’s Advocates: Carrie, and numerous reprints and interviews
Only 5,000 will be made, releasing on December 11, 2017.
AROUND THE WEB
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - October 9, 2017 - Cynthia, Halloween, As...
Bill Moseley and Sid Haig reunite for a new project, we’ve got an update on the new Halloween movie, and Bruce Campbell is making us very excited about Ash Vs Evil Dead season three!
More in Home Video
The new InterVision DVD of Beyond the 7th Door is currently $11.99 on Amazon....
The stakes are higher than ever in the intense action-adventure Death Race: Beyond Anarchy, arriving Unrated...
A few months back I was chatting with a friend about Italian cinema. We...
Taking place years before the events of both Texas Chainsaw 3D and the original Texas Chain Saw...