Jaws – the landmark motion picture that still makes audiences afraid to go in the water – comes to Blu-ray for the first time ever on August 14th, 2012. Featuring an all-new, digitally remastered and fully restored picture, as well as 7.1 surround sound, the Jaws Blu-ray Combo Pack with DVD, and a Digital Copy is truly a must own.
I’ve had a chance to check out the Blu, along with its special features, and it really is like seeing the film through new eyes. Or seeing it for the first time (I say this as someone who has seen Jaws at least 50 times). The colors are extraordinary and the detail and clarity is mind boggling. I’d say this transfer equals the Blu of Ridley Scott’s Alien, it’s amazing how a pair of films that are over 30 years old can look better than anything I’ve seen this summer.
I recently had a chance to discuss the restoration with screenwriter Carl Gottlieb (who also played “Meadows” in the film) along with Mike Daruty, the SVP of Universal Technical Operations. I also spoke with the film’s production designer Joe Alves, whom I managed to convince through the coure of our interview that Jaws is indeed horror.
Head inside to check it out! I’ve also included a ton of stuff below the interview: Two examples of the new transfer, a list of bonus features, clips and the Blu box art.
The Jaws Blu-ray Combo Pack is available in collectible Universal 100th Anniversary packaging for a limited time. The Combo Pack also contains a Digital Copy of the film for a limited time, compatible with iTunes, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android or online retail partners, as well as an UltraViolet copy. UltraViolet is the revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows in the cloud to download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice.
“Directed by Academy Award winner Steven Spielberg, Jaws set the standard for edge-of-your seat suspense quickly becoming a cultural phenomenon and forever changing the movie industry. When the seaside community of Amity finds itself under attack by a dangerous great white shark, the town’s chief of police (Roy Scheider), a young marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a grizzled shark hunter (Robert Shaw) embark on a desperate quest to destroy the beast before it strikes again. Featuring an unforgettable score that evokes pure terror, Jaws remains one of the most influential and gripping adventures in motion picture history.”
Blu-ray Bonus Features:
– The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of Jaws: All-new feature-length documentary featuring never-before-seen footage and interviews with cast and crew including Steven Spielberg, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider.
– Jaws: The Restoration: An all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie.
– The Making of Jaws: A two-hour documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.
– From the Set: An insider’s look at life on the set of Jaws, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg.
– Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
– Jaws Archives: Take a peek inside the Jaws archives, including storyboards, production photos and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the Jaws phenomenon.
– Original Theatrical Trailer
– UltraViolet: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones. Currently available in the United States only.
– Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronic and portable devices.
– pocket BLU App: The popular free pocket BLU app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad, Android tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live functions with ease.
Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.’
– BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
DVD Bonus Features:
– Spotlight on Location: The Making of Jaws: Highlights from the full-length documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - June 26, 2017 - The Evil Within 2, Jason...
The Evil Within 2 was shown at E3, Victor Miller is trying to get the rights back to Jason Voorhees, and Saw: Legacy has an official title! It's This Week in Horror with Whitney Moore!Posted by Bloody Disgusting on Monday, June 26, 2017
George A. Romero Has Passed Away at the Age of 77
[Trailer] Guillermo del Toro’s ‘The Shape of Water’ Takes the Creature Out of the Lagoon
“The Dark Tower” TV Series Will Be Origin Story With Idris Elba
Andy Muschietti Talks Holding Nothing Back for “R”-rated ‘IT’
Tobe Hooper Pretended to Direct ‘Poltergeist’ for Steven Spielberg!