In a quick TV news roundup to kickstart the week, it has been just 10 days since NBC passed on its “Munsters” reboot “Mockingbird Lane,” which had been in the works at NBC for two years under two regimes. But the network is not closing the door to bringing the family of monsters from the classic sitcom back, reports Deadline. “I won’t say we won’t do another version of The Muensters again,” NBC chief Robert Greenblatt said after the network’s executive session at TCA. He addressed the reasons for the decision not to proceed with Bryan Fuller’s “Mockingbird Lane” despite the pilot, which carried a reported $10-million price tag, doing decent ratings business when it aired as a Halloween special in October. “We just decided that it didn’t hold together well enough to yield a series,” Greenblatt said. “It looked beautiful and original and creative, but it just all ultimately didn’t come together…, it just didn’t ultimately creatively all work.” The pilot featured a cast led by Jerry O’Connell as family patriarch Herman Munster, Portia de Rossi as his wife Lily, Eddie Izzard as Grandpa, and Charity Wakefield as cousin Marilyn. “We felt great about that cast,” Greenblatt said. “But we tried to make it not just a sitcom. We tried to make it an hour, which ultimately has more dramatic weight than a half-hour. It’s hard to calibrate how much weirdness vs. supernatural vs. family story. I just think we didn’t get the mix right.”
Greenblatt talked with TVGuide about “Hannibal,” the forthcoming small screen prequel to The Silence of the Lambs. Greenblatt said Hannibal could make it on the schedule before the end of the season if other midseason offerings fizzled. But he also said it could be held for summer, where it might be competitive against high-quality cable dramas. Added NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke: “It’s very unique. It’s like a procedural you’ve never seen before.” Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy and Laurence Fishburne star. The pilot is directed by 30 Days of Night‘s David Slade.
Lastly, below is a 3-minute long promo for Fox’s “The Following,” the terrifying new thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Dawson’s Creek,” the Scream franchise) and director Marcos Siega (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Dexter”)! The series premieres January 21, 2013 on Fox.
“The FBI estimates there are currently over 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances across the country? What if one brilliant psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a following?”
AROUND THE WEB
this week in horror
More in Movies
Freestyle Digital Media has acquired the North American rights to the paranormal-themed documentary Demon...
As if January wasn’t filled with the day to day trauma of starting a...
Hello friends and neighbors, looks like another amazing episode of the World of Death....
Each month in Horror Queers, queer writers Joe and Trace tackle a horror film...