It’s no secret that director John Carpenter is a fan of video games. He worked on F.E.A.R. 3 — alongside writer Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) — lending a hand to make it more cinematic (if not very scary). He’s even recently expressed interest in making a horror game himself.
Looking back, as we do this time of year, 2013 was a pretty great time to be a gamer. It may have been a wee bit underwhelming compared to previous years, but we still got great games like The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider, among others. If I had to predict what Carpenter’s favorite games of 2013 were, I would’ve only gotten one correct (#4). Some of his picks may surprise you. They certainly did me.
1. ASSASSIN’S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG – Classic ASSASSIN’S CREED gameplay, awesome world, fabulous game.
2. FAR CRY 3 – Magnificent open world adventure
3. THE LAST OF US – Great characters make this a classic
4. DEAD SPACE 3 – Scary snow world and twitching monsters – Please dismember
5. REMEMBER ME – Unique female leading character in futuristic action game
6. BORDERLANDS 2 – I know, I know, it’s from 2012, but the last add-on is this year and this is a brilliant, funny, action-blasted game! My favorite!