Earlier this year, director/comedian Mel Brooks stated that he might be interested in creating Spaceballs: The Search for More Money (tentative title), especially with the recent surge in Star Wars popularity.
Brooks stated back then on Adam Corolla’s “Take A Knee” podcast, “In Spaceballs, in the movie, Bill Pullman says to me, Yogurt, just plain Yogurt, he says ‘Do you think we’ll ever meet again?’ and I say ‘Well, I don’t know…maybe in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money.’ And I’m thinking now, if I did a movie that came out right after Star Wars comes out — maybe a couple of months later — I’d have a big weekend, you know?”
Coming to today, Brooks recently appeared on the podcast again and said that not only is he hoping to potentially start filming in early 2016 but he hopes that some of the original cast will return!
It kinda sounds like Brooks wants to take Spaceballs 2 in the same direction as Star Wars: The Force Awakens by having the original cast make their appearances but possibly bring in new talent to push the story forward. After all, both John Candy and Joan Rivers have passed away since the original was released and Rick Moranis isn’t acting anymore. Still Daphne Zuniga and Bill Pullman would probably be up for it, especially with Pullman making a big comeback in Independence Day: Resurgence.
Brooks is a master of parody and satire, so doing something like this would come at the absolutely perfect timing. I think the public needs another scene like Yogurt talking about merchandising to remind us what Hollywood is all about. If nothing else, we should all remember the sponsorship scene from Wayne’s World.
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - May 1, 2017 - The Mist, Hellboy, Michael...
The Mist has an extra gory new trailer, Hellboy is getting an R-rated reboot, and legendary actor Michael Parks passed away.Posted by Bloody-Disgusting on Wednesday, May 17, 2017