Connect with us

Movies

Command it All You Want, ‘Preacher’ Series Dead at HBO

Published

on

If there was one thing I want to see more than anything else in the entire world it would be Garth Ennis’ PREACHER comic adapted in some way – I don’t care how. First it was to be a movie based on the first few books, then we got the news that it was soon to be a HBO series – probably the best news ever. But now, it looks like God has returned and is putting his entire army against this project. Will we ever see it? I’ve given up hope, read on for the latest…
From Comics Continuum:

Mark Steven Johnson, who brought Daredevil and Ghost Rider to the big screen, told The Continuum that his attempts to bring Garth Ennis’ Preacher to HBO as a series were close but ultimately unsuccessful.

“We were budgeting and everything and it was getting really close to going,” Johnson told The Continuum. “But the new head of HBO felt it was just too dark and too violent and too controversial. Which, of course, is kind of the point!

“It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word. They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I’ve learned my lesson on that front and I won’t do it again. So I’m afraid it’s dead at HBO.

“I’ve heard someone is in the process of getting the rights to turn it into a feature film. I hope that happens. But I hope it happens as a series of movies as one movie couldn’t do it justice. I really love that story and I dedicated a lot of my time to honor Garth’s work. But it wasn’t meant to be.”

Johnson is currently in post-production on When in Rome — a comedy starrring Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Danny DeVito, Dax Shephard, Jon Heder and Angelica Huston — and said he is enjoying returning to his comedy roots.

“It’s a lot like Grumpy Old Men in feel and I’m having a blast,” he said.

“Preacher,” which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God — who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven — and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Horror movie fanatic who co-founded Bloody Disgusting in 2001. Producer on Southbound, V/H/S/2/3/94, SiREN, Under the Bed, and A Horrible Way to Die. Chicago-based. Horror, pizza and basketball connoisseur. Taco Bell daily. Franchise favs: Hellraiser, Child's Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream and Friday the 13th. Horror 365 days a year.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Movies

Two New Images from ‘Alien: Romulus’ Spotlight the Heroes and the Giger-Faithful Monster

Published

on

Fede Alvarez’s (Evil Dead, Don’t BreatheAlien: Romulus will be unleashed in theaters nationwide on August 16, and Entertainment Weekly brings us two new images today.

The first image you’ll find below gives us another fresh look at the film’s Xenomorph, with Alvarez promising the outlet that it’s the most H.R. Giger-faithful Xenomorph of them all.

Entertainment Weekly writes, “… Alvarez promises [the Xenomorph’s design] is closer to H.R. Giger’s original creation than any other iteration.” The late H.R. Giger was of course integral to Ridley Scott’s Alien, designing the iconic monster the franchise is centered on.

The other image you’ll find below gives us a look at two of the human characters from Alien: Romulus, Archie Renaux’s Tyler and Cailee Spaeny’s heroine Rain Carradine.

Head over to Entertainment Weekly for their full preview of the upcoming film.

Here’s the full official plot synopsis for Alvarez’s Alien: Romulus, which comes in the wake of Disney reviving the Predator franchise in spectacular fashion with last year’s Prey

“While scavenging the deep ends of a derelict space station, a group of young space colonizers come face to face with the most terrifying life form in the universe.”

Cailee Spaeny (The Craft: LegacyPacific Rim Uprisingleads the cast alongside Isabela Merced, David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn and Aileen Wu.

Alien: Romulus takes place in between the first two films. It’s been described as “an original standalone feature,” one that “will focus on a group of young people on a distant world.” 

Fede Alvarez co-wrote the script with Rodo Sayagues (Evil Dead). Ridley Scott is on board as producer for the film, the first movie in the franchise to be released by Disney.

Xenomorph in ‘Alien: Romulus’. 20TH CENTURY STUDIOS

(L-R): Archie Renaux as Tyler and Cailee Spaeny as Rain Carradine in ‘Alien: Romulus.’. 20TH CENTURY STUDIOS

Continue Reading