We’ve already made it known what *we* think about MGM and Orion making their own remake of Child’s Play, despite Don Mancini‘s original franchise still actively churning out new sequels and even an upcoming television series, but what does Mancini himself have to say about all this? In a tweet today, Mancini said it all without really saying much at all.
“This is all I have to say on that subject,” Mancini tweeted in response to today’s reveal of the “new” Chucky from MGM’s upcoming remake. Included with the tweet was a photo of Mariah Carey holding up a sign that reads, “I don’t know her.” You can see that tweet below.
Original franchise star Christine Elise (Child’s Play 2 and Cult of Chucky) went a whole lot harder with her reaction to the remake last month, telling Horror Geek Life…
“I think it’s an unbelievably huge dick move. I think it’s a douche move absolutely. I don’t know why they would fuck with a healthy franchise. To make a competing franchise with an existing, and like you said healthy, robust franchise is super douchey. And nobody from the original franchise is involved; they’re not gonna have Brad Dourif, they’re not gonna have Don, and they’re not gonna have any of us.”
The actress continued…
“I think the doll is going to be an artificial intelligence doll that goes haywire, so it’s not going to have the whole element of the serial killer possessing it, et cetera, so it’s not going to be, really, a Chucky film. So I don’t know why they’re just taking the title and stealing it and mucking up the waters. It’s especially douchey when you know that Don is developing a TV series and going back to using the title Child’s Play; not Bride of, Seed of, Curse of, Cult of Chucky, it’s going back to the Child’s Play name and it’s deep into development. So this MGM project could have, it hasn’t but it could have, really, easily derailed the TV show project, which would be devastating, because fingers crossed it happens and fingers crossed I’m involved in it, as much as I would like to be. It’s an opportunity here where Don can further a story he’s been telling for 30 years, but rather than tell it in 90-minute segments every three years or more, he can tell 10 hours of story in 10 weeks, he can get that much more story ahead. And if you’ve seen Cult and you see how Cult ends, you know how rich in story it is, there’s so many doors open now, and to so insensitively threaten the Don Mancini empire I think, is fucked up.”
For what it’s worth, remake director Lars Klevberg tells EW that he has nothing but respect for Mancini, and that he wishes Mancini had agreed to sign on as executive producer.
“Everyone is a huge fan of Don Mancini,” says Klevberg. “[If] he was making this movie with us it would be really amazing, but we understand he has his reasons. We are extremely grateful to him and will always be. He’s someone I look up to.”
Where do you stand on this hot button issue?
THIS IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ON THAT SUBJECT pic.twitter.com/r2llIGSDWx
— Don Mancini (@RealDonMancini) September 21, 2018