Waxwork Records has announced the full details for their upcoming vinyl release of Phase IV, the 1974 sci-fi/thriller directed by Saul Bass. This is the first time that the soundtrack will be released in any format! The unique, psychedelic synth-driven score is composed by Brian Gascoigne and David Briscoe, and full packaging artwork has been created by Swedish artist, Kilian Eng.
The IMDb synopsis of the film reads:
Desert ants suddenly form a collective intelligence and begin to wage war on the desert inhabitants. It is up to two scientists and a stray girl they rescue from the ants to destroy them. But the ants have other ideas.
A full stream of the soundtrack can be heard below (courtesy of Fact). Also below is the cover art and variant details.
You can pre-order the album right now via Waxwork’s official website. Shipping begins in March, 2015.
The score has been mastered for vinyl by former White Zombie guitarist J. Yuenger and pressed on 180 gram vinyl. Variants include “100% Yellow” vinyl, “Toxic Blue Haze” vinyl, and classic black vinyl.
• Never before released in any format
• 12 page booklet featuring never before seen photos and conceptual art
• Artwork by Kilian Eng
• Liner notes by Sean Savage of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
• 180 gram classic black wax
• 180 gram “100% Yellow” wax to represent the toxic repellent used to fight the ant invasion
• 180 gram “Toxic Blue Haze” wax to represent the toxic chemicals sprayed to kill invading ants