Director David F. Sandberg, coming off last year’s Lights Out, has had pretty high hopes for his Annabelle 2 from the very beginning. Last summer, he exclusively told us that he intended to make the sequel to the franchise spinoff into the “Godfather 2 of creepy doll movies,” and today we’re happy to report that Sandberg did not skimp on the violence and the scares.
The sequel, which Sandberg says will be better than the original, has just been given an R rating by the MPAA, on the grounds that it contains “horror violence and terror.”
Sandberg tweeted that he’s not surprised by that:
Didn't know we'd been officially rated already. But it's no surprise, there was no way this was getting anything less than R. https://t.co/K9BBrKqLck
— David F. Sandberg (@ponysmasher) February 9, 2017
Look for it on August 11, 2017.
In Annabelle 2, “Several years after the tragic death of their little girl, a dollmaker and his wife welcome a nun and several girls from a shuttered orphanage into their home, soon becoming the target of the dollmaker’s possessed creation, Annabelle.”
The full cast includes Talitha Bateman, Stephanie Sigman (Spectre), Talitha Bateman (The 5th Wave), Lulu Wilson (upcoming Ouija 2, Deliver Us from Evil), Philippa Anne Coulthard (After the Dark), Grace Fulton (Badland), Lou Lou Safran (The Choice), Samara Lee (Fox Catcher, The Last Witch Hunter), Tayler Buck in her feature film debut, with Anthony LaPaglia (TV’s Without a Trace) and Miranda Otto (Showtime’s Homeland, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy).
Sandberg directs from a screenplay by Gary Dauberman, who also wrote Annabelle.