This is getting pretty crazy folks. Here’s the deal – Bruce Campbell just told Erin Darling over the weekend that Army Of Darkness 2 isn’t necessarily happening. His quote? “It’s all internet BS. There’s no reality whatsoever. These random comments slip out of my mouth or Sam Raimi’s mouth, next thing you know, we’re making a sequel.”
Here’s the problem. Sam Raimi is still writing the film. And everyone I’ve spoken to concedes that it’s at the very least in development. Fede Alvarez told me he that “we’re not actually making ‘Evil Dead 2′ right now because the priority is Sam’s ‘Army of Darkness 2.’ But the plan of making a sequel to our ‘Evil Dead’ is very much alive.” Alvarez has also confirmed Raimi’s intent to direct the film.
In September I spoke to Alvarez at the Eyegore awards. That was when he first told me that Sam Raimi wanted to tackle Army Of Darkness 2 first. Do you know who was standing by his side during that interview? Bruce Campbell. Granted, it was a loud red carpet and I doubt Campbell was hanging on Alvarez’s every word, but that would be an odd time for Alvarez to make such a statement if it was false.
It was this same Bruce Campbell who told Wizard World Nashville that he was doing the film. Here’s the thing, even Campbell himself admits that Raimi is writing AOD2. He told a Seattle radio station last week, “the thing that would drive me to do it again would be working with Sam.” He concedes that the Evil Dead remake got “Rob, Sam and I working together again.” He then told another Seattle radio station that he was joking when he confirmed the film in Nashville but the confirms that Sam Raimi was writing the film with his brother Ivan and “he doesn’t always threaten that. When he actually starts writing, you go ‘okay maybe he’s not lying this time.’” People like Sam Raimi don’t just wake up in the morning and go to work on something they don’t think would ever happen, they’ve got far too much going on to waste their time on that stuff.
My theory? Army Of Darkness 2 is most definitely being worked on. Campbell just doesn’t want to be asked about it all the time and delights in never giving a straight answer. What he means is that it’s “not real” in the sense that there isn’t a shooting date or production schedule yet, but that it’s being worked on. I think the fact that someone like me just had to spend 30 minutes putting all of this together tickles him to no end. More power to him.
Thanks to Tyler Foster for the radio interview link.
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - May 1, 2017 - The Mist, Hellboy, Michael...
The Mist has an extra gory new trailer, Hellboy is getting an R-rated reboot, and legendary actor Michael Parks passed away.Posted by Bloody-Disgusting on Wednesday, May 17, 2017