Connect with us

Movies

Year in Review: Mr. D’s Best Horror Films of 2008!

Published

on

What a year, what a year. While everyone else includes DVDs in their best and worst lists, I solely focus on films that hit theaters. While compiling my lists, I couldn’t believe how hard it was to pick ten films that I felt were worth even mentioning as “the best”. While I barely succeeded, the worst list was much easier, which was pretty disappointing from my standpoint. That means this was a lousy year for horror and that the majority of horror films released were bad. Looking forward to 2009, I can’t say I expect anything different next year, but one can only hope… beyond the break you can check out my list of the best horror films of 2008. Don’t forget you can chime in with your own lists and thoughts below, or write your own reviews in our MoviePit.

Other Best & Worst Lists:
Mr. Disgusting’s Best & Worst / Ryan Daley / BC’s Best & Worst / David Harley’s Best & Worst / Tim Anderson
Also check out this year’s Best & Worst Posters

Mr. D’s Best Horror Films of 2008

Click any title for posters, clips, trailers, images or to write your own review!

10. Splinter (October 31; Magnet Releasing)

“The creature feature is loaded with blood, guts, gore, the perfect anti-hero and a hilariously fun plot, which is played straight until the very end.. Wilkins delivers a simple, yet effective `80s creature feature that’s not only scary, but also a great time.” Click here for the full review.

9. Rogue (August 5; Magnolia)

When this film got delayed again and again I started to think that there was something wrong. Typically when a film is shelved there’s a reason. When I finally got a chance to see McLean’s follow-up to WOLF CREEK I was blown away. I guess I can understand why the film wasn’t given a major release, especially after the other giant croc pic, but it sucks that ROGUE took the fall. The film features a high level of suspense, beautiful camerawork and a giant croc that delivers exactly what it promises – total destruction. This movie is a gem that I will watch over and over again.

8. Repo! The Genetic Opera (November 7; Lionsgate)

“REPO! is a special treat, a film that should have never been, the bastard child of a studio, something that is so distinct that you can barely begin to compare it to anything else. If you’re a fan of musicals, I GUARANTEE that this will become a cult classic in your collection, for everyone else this is a unique film that – whether it’s good or bad – will give you a new theatrical experience. And that’s something special in this day and age.” Click here for the full review.

7. The Ruins (April 4; DreamWorks)

“THE RUINS has turned over a new leaf in horror and will get inside even the thickest of horror fans’ skin.” Click here for the full review.

6. The Midnight Meat Train (August 1; Lionsgate)

“Liongate’s TMMT is the first BOOK OF BLOOD to depart from the station in a long time and it’s refreshing to see that the film carries that bleak, yet romantic touch of Clive Barker all over it. MEAT TRAIN is guaranteed to make you squirm, scream and beg for more.” Click here for the full review.

5. Quarantine (October 10; Sony Screen Gems)

I have never had such a hard time writing a review in my life. I had seen [REC] almost exactly a year before I saw the remake from Sony Screen Gems. To my surprise QUARANTINE was nearly the exact same film. When I went to write my review, it literally felt like I was rewriting my review for [REC] and originally gave up. You might as well just read my review for the Spanish original. “[REC] has it all and is probably one of the best Spanish horror films in recent memory… I give it the B-D stamp of approval and smile at the fact that something extraordinary has finally come out of Filmax.

4. Vinyan (TBD 2009; Sony)

“While the film is sure to disappoint most horror fans, filmmaking connoisseurs will find solace in a piece of art that is left open to various interpretations. VINYAN is true to Welz’s vision and exactly what he promised to deliver, the only failure would be that it’s not for the majority – but isn’t that what makes a movie special?” Click here for the full review.

3. Cloverfield (January 18; Paramount)

“CLOVERFIELD is one of those films you wish you could see for the very first time again because the impact will just never be the same on second viewing. I treasured the experience of getting to see this in the theater and it will forever leave a mark on me.” Click here for the full review.

2. Let the Right One In (October 24; Magnet Releasing)

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is truly a masterpiece of filmmaking that is not only beautiful, but also grim and surreal. While most people (incorrectly) find this to be a coming-of-age love story between a boy and a vampire girl, the deeper meaning is what makes this such a grizzly hardcore adaptation. When the truth of the “girl” is uncovered, that’s when the deep-seeded meaning shows itself… leaving you shaken and disturbed.

1. Martyrs (TBD 2009; Dimension Extreme)

“MARTYRS is this year’s INSIDE, both films are legendary in their own right… By the end of the film MARTYRS becomes immensely uncomfortable, and making it through the final 30 minutes is a tough task. The only negative thing about Laugier’s film is that once you see it, you’ll never be able to see it for the first time ever again…” Click here for the full review.

Bonus Gem: 6 Films to Keep You Awake (August 18; Lionsgate)

What a deal, what a deal! A whopping six films in one DVD collection that features four films that easily deserve to be in theaters, one that’s just OK and one that should be burned and never seen again. But if you need a reason to pick this up, just check out CHRISTMAS TALE, from director Paco Plaza, co-director of [REC]. It’s an incredible ’80s throwback with fun characters and an ’80s charm that makes it almost feel like it was actually made 20 years ago.

Honorable Mentions:

There were a few other films I really enjoyed this year, including the Spanish time travel thriller Timecrimes and the French sci-fi horror flick Eden Log (if you can sit back, relax and enjoy a slow burn). Another film I can’t wait for everyone to see is Deadgirl, which I caught at the Toronto International Film Festival. Speaking of Film Festivals, everyone should check out the micorbudget Baghead, which I caught at Sundance last January. It’s on DVD now from Sony Home Entertainment and is a close spoof of FRIDAY THE 13TH. It was nice to see so many independent films coming through in the end. Lastly, I have to give props to Lloyd Kaufman for giving is the distasteful Poultrygeist, a film that features some of the most disgusting images every to hit my TV (including a penis tip on the end of a mop). The one film I really wanted to include on my list but couldn’t was Dance of the Dead. My list is reserved for theatrical releases or films I have seen in a theater, unfortunately DANCE went direct-to-DVD. The ’80s zombie homage has infinite replay value and loads of gore, I will be revisiting it regularly in the coming years.

Horror movie fanatic who co-founded Bloody Disgusting in 2001. Producer on Southbound, V/H/S/2/3/94, SiREN, Under the Bed, and A Horrible Way to Die. Chicago-based. Horror, pizza and basketball connoisseur. Taco Bell daily. Franchise favs: Hellraiser, Child's Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream and Friday the 13th. Horror 365 days a year.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Movies

‘Mickey vs. Winnie’ – The Public Domain Horror Trend May Have Just Jumped the Shark

Published

on

In case you haven’t noticed, the public domain status of beloved icons like Winnie the Pooh, Cinderella and Mickey Mouse has been wreaking havoc on the horror genre in the past couple years, with filmmakers itching to get their hands on the characters and put them into twisted situations. In the wake of two Winnie the Pooh slashers, well, Pooh is about to battle Mickey.

It’s not from the same team behind the Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey films, to be clear, but Deadline reports that Glenn Douglas Packard (Pitchfork) will direct the horror movie Mickey vs. Winnie for Untouchables Entertainment and the website iHorror.

Deadline details, “The film follows two convicts in the 1920s who escape into a cursed forest only to be dragged and consumed into the depths of the dark forest’s muddy heart.

“A century later, a group of thrill-seeking friends unknowingly venture into the same woods. Their Airbnb getaway takes a horrifying turn when the convicts mutate into twisted versions of childhood icons Mickey Mouse & Winnie-The-Pooh, and emerge to terrorize them. A night of violence and gore erupts, as the group of friends battle against their now monstrous beloved childhood characters and fight to break free from the forest’s grip.

“In a horrific spectacle, Mickey and Winnie clash, painting the woods in a gruesome tableau of blood—a chilling testament to the curse’s insidious power.”

Glenn Douglas Packard wrote the screenplay that he’ll be directing.

“Horror fans call for the thrill of witnessing icons like the new Aliens and Avengers sharing the screen. While licensing nightmares make such crossovers rare, Mickey vs. Winnie serves as our tribute to that thrilling fantasy,” Packard said in a statement this week.

Producer Anthony Pernicka from iHorror previews, “We’re thrilled to unveil this unique take to horror fans. The Mickey Mouse featured in our film is unlike any iteration audiences have encountered before. Our portrayal doesn’t involve characters donning basic masks. Instead, we present deeply transformed, live-action horror renditions of these iconic figures, weaving together elements of innocence and malevolence. After experiencing the intense scenes we’ve crafted, you’ll never look at Mickey the same way again.”

Continue Reading