Imagine that. A Godzilla movie nominated for Best Picture!
Last year’s Toho-produced Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) has been hailed by many as being the best Godzilla movie ever made, with most at the very least agreeing that it put any American version of the franchise to absolute shame. It was also a huge success at the box office, becoming the highest grossing live-action film released in Japan last year and also the highest-grossing Japanese Godzilla film of all time. And now, per the website SciFied, we’ve learned that Shin Godzilla has been nominated for a whopping ELEVEN Japanese Academy Awards.
Talk about a powerhouse monster movie, huh?
Technically called the Japan Academy Prize, the “Japanese Academy Awards” have been given out annually since 1978, and Shin Godzilla is nominated in the following categories this year:
- Best Picture
- Best Director(s) – Hideaki Anno & Shinji Higuchi
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – Hiroki Hasegawa
- Best Supporting Actress – Satomi Ishihara
- Best Supporting Actress – Mikako Ichikawa
- Best Original Score – Shirou Sagisu
- Best Cinematography – Kousuke Yamada
- Best Lighting Direction – Takayuki Kawabe
- Best Art Direction – Yuji Hayashida & Eri Sakushima
- Best Sound – Jun Nakamura & Haru Yamada
- Best Editing – Hideaki Anno & Atsuki Sato
I’d also like to nominate the film in the nonexistent “Coolest Movie Moment Ever” category for the nighttime scene where Godzilla unleashed his atomic breath. Holy shit was that awesome.
The Japanese Academy Awards will be given out March 3rd in Tokyo, Japan.