So it’s official, then. The Dead Island franchise is coming back into our lives and it’s bringing with it the 16-bit side-scroller spin-off Retro Revenge. Both the original game and its pseudo-sequel Riptide are being remastered for this console generation in a collection that will also include all previously released DLC, though that’s not necessarily a selling point.
Here’s an overview of what’s new in the Definitive Collection:
– Supports 1080p resolution at 30 frames per second
– Textures have been re-done in higher resolution and quality
– Photo-realistic new lighting system
– Physically based shading Image quality enhancement via anti-aliasing
– Improved quality game models and geometry assets
– HBAO and motion blur effects
– Update game UI for Dead Island and Dead Island Riptide
At $39.99, the definitive Dead Island experience won’t break the bank when it arrives on May 31 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. There’s more than enough content there to justify the budget price, and Retro Revenge — a “classic side-scrolling action/endless runner set in the Dead Island universe” — certainly sounds intriguing.
I had a good time hacking away at the undead hordes in the endless quest for epic loot and I might’ve even been interested in giving it another go had the series’ original creators not gone on to make an objectively superior open-world zombie game that recently got so, so, so much better.
I’m very interested in reading your thoughts on this. Will you be grabbing this, or are you too busy plowing your custom dune buggy through fields of zombies in the new-and-improved Dying Light?